2016 Year in Review

I honestly don’t even know how to start this post since my 2016 was a real roller coaster ride complete with extremely complicated loops and gut-wrenching heights. But as they say, all’s well that ends well so I’m thankful that it still ended on a high note. 

January
I kicked-off the year by having my well-deserved vacation in the Philippines. I spent the first month of 2016 stuffing myself full of home-made food, nothing beats the taste of home. I also attended a couple of birthdays, weddings, baptismal, engagement, bridal showers, debuts, and everything in-between parties. Don’t get me wrong, I love social events but then you realize that the more you attend those milestones in other people’s lives, the older you also get. Every year, I have bouts of guilt about squandering my time pursuing self-interest. When I look at everyone around me who seemingly have their life in order and being actual “adult”, it scares the sh*t out of me. I wonder how different I am when it comes to normal people’s future vision of being settled. Most people dream of a house, I dream of traveling the world. Most people dream of a partner to spend their life with, I see a partner to travel with. Most people dream of a stable career, I see a career pursuing what I love most.






February
I had to cut my vacation a few days off since I was invited to be the Vice-chair of the Socio-Cultural Committee at the ASEAN-Korea Forum in Busan. This city will always hold a special place in my heart. I spent a week meeting awesome delegates, two of which instantly became my closest friends up to now. It was a pleasure heading such inspiring and talented students across the region. It gave me an opportunity to also challenge myself since it was my first time delivering such task. The event was a success thanks to the organizers and everyone who put in all their efforts to make it memorable.









I also spent Seollal back in my second hometown. It was a blast to spend the Korean New Year with the presence of all my Filipino friends back in Daegu. We also got to check out the Harry Potter Cafe in Gyeongsan.




March
I started my second semester and celebrated Lexie’s birthday. If you’ve been following my blog, you would know that Lexie is my eternal roommate, hahahaha. Anyway, it feels so surreal how our friendship evolved and continued all the way from Gyeongsan. If anything, I would always be grateful that of all the possible combination of people that you could have as a roommate, I ended up with her. Of course, it is also during this occasion that I got to meet my KGSP squad for the first time this year. I’d like to say that nothing has changed, we still drank all night and the same conversation still ensued, but somehow, there was that inexplicable force that felt like something shifted in our dynamics. Everyone matured in their own ways and we know more or less that our graduate lives are totally different from the life we’re used to in the language school. Nevertheless, we could always use a bit of fun every time we meet. 











April
When everything starts to bloom, you just know that it’s going to be a great month. It was during this time that I joined the first ASEAN quiz bee with my friend Kenn, and lo and behold, we actually won second place. I have to give credit where it is due since it was all thanks to my quiz partner, hahaha. April was also the month where I started a string of part-time work. I had to put a balancing act to manage both school and work but I needed money for more travels, that’s why I was determined to do just about everything, lol, kidding, not everything.








I was also appointed as a Goyang International Horticulture Supporter so I managed to get us free tickets for the flower festival. I have to say that it’s one of the best flower shows out there so don’t miss it next year. 













May
This is my favorite month not only because it’s my birth month but also because it’s when the flowers are in full bloom. Everything just looks pretty and your mood lifts along with it. I chose to celebrate my birthday with people who matters the most. On the actual day of my birthday, I did indoor fishing and got lucky to actually have caught a fish. Not bad for a first-time right?! Although I almost killed the poor fish since I panicked after catching it and almost threw it on the floor. I also got to spend the entire night singing my heart out with my trusty friends in the biggest noraebang I’ve ever seen. There’s only three of us but the room was like for thirty people. The next day was reserved for a more serene and sober celebration with my Korean friends from church. I got the chance to pray and be thankful for the blessed year. The last leg of the celebration was spent with my KGSP squad. I was filled with glee as I saw my favorite people being present for my birthday, you guys know who you are, hahaha. ;) 














June
The ending of the semester and time for us to part ways with our counselor friends from the US who did a program with Korea University. These people gave me insights on how culture affects the upbringing of an individual. I learned a great deal from them and they made me reflect on my experiences as an international student living in another country. June was also the month when I started my preparation for the biggest speaking engagement I was invited to. It was for the Global Korean Studies where I was offered the opportunity to be the student speaker for Multiculturalism in Korea. I was nervous at first since apart from Daniel, I was the only foreigner speaker in the forum and I wasn't so sure that the Korean audience would be receptive of my views. But I was also beyond excited as I got to share the stage with a famous personality from a Korean debate show. It was interesting to listen to Daniel about his opinion regarding the direction that Multiculturalism in Korea should take. Surprisingly, our audience expressed their support for Multicuturalism and that alone gave me hope that Korea would be more open to the idea of a multicultural society in the future.
















July
I spent the vacation doing all sorts of free tours every chance I got. I did the MBC broadcasting tour with Lexie along with the Seoul tour bus of the city. I was also invited to do a trial of the newest Seoul discovery pass before it’s launching. If you’re visiting Seoul and you want to see most of the attractions the city has to offer, you definitely have to try the Seoul discovery pass. You can find the article I wrote about the pass in the official Visit Seoul website or you can check the link directly from this blogpost. Lastly, I attended the Global Young Leaders Tourism Camp as one of the guest speakers. I was invited to share my experiences as an international student and my recommendations on the must-visit attractions in Korea. It was during events like these that my friends would comment that I’m like a full-time traveler and a part-time student. 





















August
Before the vacation ended, I finally got to see the marvel of Jeju. I mean, you can’t be living in Korea for long and not visit Jeju. I embarked on this trip alone armed with nothing but my instincts. I took this trip on a whim without any planned itinerary nor any preparation on what activities to do for a week-long trip. I booked the seat sale and jumped on the plane hoping to easily navigate Jeju the way I learned to navigate Seoul. It became a trip to remember filled with activities I’ve never tried before and contemporary museums which enriched my mind (yes, I’m talking about the Love Museum), hahaha. It’s true that you learn more about yourself when you travel alone. You get to appreciate the beauty of the place more since it’s just you in the midst of the vast nature. But of course, I wouldn’t mind sharing the beautiful scenery with someone special the next time I go back there. Yeah Krista, keep dreaming, lol, hahaha. 
You can read more about my Jeju trip on my previous posts.
































September
I welcomed the semester with an incredible news that I got accepted for Woojung Foundation Scholarship. It was definitely the highlight of this year since that meant that I no longer have to do part-time work. I didn’t have any expectations in being selected since the competition was tough. Also, I have to be honest that I was never a good student since I started Masters. I spent more time doing other things rather than focusing on my studies. But I guess being given another scholarship became a wake-up call for me. I felt guilty for being selected even though I really wanted it that I became determined to prove worthy of this blessing. After the awarding ceremony, I promised myself that I would exert all effort to do well on my studies. I quit all my part-time work and even sacrificed a lot of travel chances. In the end, it was all worth it since nothing ever comes for free. 

]













October
I bought my new MacBook and Iphone, hahaha. But my happiness was dampened since I started this month without my closest Filipino friends in Daegu. They had to go back to my country since they already graduated. It breaks my heart that I would no longer have any reason to go back to Daegu every time I’m free. My Filipino friends have always been there for me through thick and thin that’s why it was really hard to part ways with them. I guess Korea would never be the same again without them inviting me for sleepovers to their house and giving me advice on all the things I keep screwing up, especially when it comes to love. They would call me on my faults but would still accept me despite my shortcomings. I would miss having them in my house and all our food adventures. They are the closest to a family I could ever have. Chuseok, Seollal, birthdays, every important holiday was spent with them so it’s going to be tough without them. But, real friendships are not based on distance. Aprille and Paul are the type of friends for keeps. 











November
We celebrated Halloween along with MJ’s nth birthday. People would often doubt whether we’re really from the same country because we both represent a different side of a typical Filipina. However, people were also quick to agree that we’re both a different kind of crazy. MJ is overly social, I’m selectively social; she talks non-stop about everything under the sun, I talk only when prompted by the right questions; she tends to spill secrets, I’m quite secretive; she plays it safe when people are in dispute, I like chaos and I take sides on arguments; she’s relatable, I suffer from constant mood swings; she’s comfortable in pants, I like dresses and skirts and most of all, she likes guys who drinks, I like guys who drive, hahaha. But, we’re both a complicated force to deal with so I guess people would have a hard time using us a reference for a typical Filipino personality.









Apart from MJ’s birthday, we had the year-end celebration at my house with our Filipino friends complete with chef Kem’s specialty and we also checked the Seoul Lantern Festival.





December
I was at my wit’s end trying to keep my promise to study hard but I can’t believe I survived the semester. Hhhorrraaayy!!! I thought I wouldn’t make it since I had to crawl my way to the finish line. It was all blood, sweat and tears as I struggled during all those sleepless nights. But of course, I couldn’t miss the occasion to meet my KGSP squad again before the vacation starts. They gave me the will to survive the semester, hahaha. It’s true that the most comforting words you can hear during the time of struggle are “me too!”. Knowing that I’m not the only one who’s going through the same experiences made me feel better. Misery loves company right?! Just kidding. It actually became an unspoken rule for us not to dwell on school-related things every time we meet so spending time with them became an outlet for me to take it easy and breathe. 






And the best part of this year was that I was home for Christmas!!!!! I am proud to say that Filipinos sure do know how to celebrate Christmas. There was no place I would have rather be than beside my loved ones on that glorious celebration.



So there you have it, my 2016 in a glimpse. I would give a rating of 7.5/10 for this year since it was actually an eventful year despite some trying times. Looking back at it made me realize that I have so much to be thankful for. More than anything, it was my family and friends’ constant support that helped me grow in 2016. I wasn’t perfect but I had a forgiving and loving God by my side. I know that challenges would still be present in 2017 but I know that I am more than ready to conquer them having learned from the lessons of the past years. Cheers to 2017! 


Comments

Popular Posts