2nd Global Korean Studies

My interest in multiculturalism was actually fueled by a simple question "Where is your Korean husband?" I thought it was an honest mistake back then but as the question became more frequent, I started to become more curious and investigate where that question is coming from. Apparently, women from my country are one of the biggest markets for interracial marriage.





That's the beginning of my understanding why there's a prejudice especially among women coming from certain parts of Asia. My understanding came with two conflicting feelings: first, personally I became determined to prove that not all women who come to Korea have a plan to settle with a Korean husband; second, I felt disappointed whenever I hear reports about the way multicultural families are treated. (But of course if ever there's a chance I'm gonna be married with Song Joong-Ki or Kim Soo-Hyun, I wouldn't even think twice regardless of  any prejudice, hahaha, I'm kidding of course!) 






So when I was invited to become a speaker for the 2nd Global Korean studies, although I had doubts whether I can deliver the task, I willingly accepted the offer mainly because I know it's going to be a head start in  the promotion of multiculturalism in Korea. 





Multiculturalism in Korea has an entirely different context (usually negative), they refer to it as 다문화. As a foreigner in Korea, it might be difficult at first to understand this strictly homogeneous society. However, once we continue the dialogue between Koreans and the foreign immigrants, we can build more bridges rather than barriers. 





The  summary of my speech in the forum is about meeting halfway, meaning, we have to see multiculturalism as an instrument for collaboration between the Korean people and the foreign residents to make a progressive and dynamic Korea in the future. 



Fun fact: What actually made me nervous about this forum is the fact that this is the first time I'm speaking in front of an entirely Korean audience. I'm used to delivering speeches in front of international people where there's more chance of positive reception. But this time, I took a risk in presenting something that the majority might not agree with. But lo and behold, to my surprise at the end of the session, 90% of them raised their hands to convey their willingness to strive for a multicultural society. 90% of this audience is small compared to the whole Korean society, however small as they may be, it's a good start. Big things usually come from small beginnings. I have hope that a truly successful multicultural society can still be achieved by Korea in the future. 





Of course, I would like to acknowledge the impressive contribution of our guest speaker Daniel Lindemann from 비정상회담. For without him, my efforts would have been wasted although having him honestly made me more nervous since it was a full house! Lastly, sharing the stage with him is an experience I would always remember. ^^ 







It's not everyday that you get this kind of opportunity so I will always be thankful to all the people behind the forum especially the planning committee and also to my partner 성윤 for a job well done. 

Comments

Popular Posts